By SARA MALM FOR MAILONLINE and AFP
PUBLISHED: 09:57 EST, 19 May 2016 | UPDATED: 13:35 EST, 19 May 2016
The director of the horror classic ‘The Exorcist’, William Friedkin, has revealed that he has become the first person in the world to film a real exorcism at the Vatican.
The 80-year-old American filmmaker told a masterclass at the Cannes film festival late Thursday that he was invited by the chief exorcist in Rome to record the event earlier this month.
Friedkin told the crowd that he will ‘never be the same’ after the event, also revealing that he believes possession by the devil is real.
‘I was invited by the Vatican exorcist to shoot and video an actual exorcism which… few people have ever seen and which nobody has ever photographed,’ he said.
Friedkin said he was taken aback at how close the ceremony was to the exorcism depicted in his 1973 film. Read more of this story at the Daily Mail